Tuesday 23 April 2013

Jess's Guide To: The Perfect Foundation

I'm planning to start a little series on making the most out of your make up and getting it just right for you. I'm not an expert, and most of my advice will come from things I've been taught, things I've read, and things I've found out through practice. I hope you'll find at least one thing useful. Today I'm writing about finding the perfect foundation, but I hope to do the rest soon (let me know in the comments which make up 'area' you struggle with the most)

Choosing the right formula

Decide what type of base you want depending on what coverage you want and what skin type you have. It does differ for each person, but here's a rough guide to each skin type.

Oily/combination skin

An oil free foundation will absorb excess oil and give you light/medium coverage. Alternatively, you could use a powder compact or mineral powders. If you want full coverage, I'd suggest using a liquid/cream foundation and a powder on top. Mineral foundation won't block your pores, but no matter which foundation you use, always be sure to remove all of it after as you don't want it to stay on your skin.

Normal skin

If you want light coverage, then a tinted moisturiser or BB cream would be ideal (especially if you're skin is clear). If you want a bit more coverage, then a liquid foundation is ideal.

Dry skin

Again you could use a tinted moisturiser or a liquid foundation. You could also use a tinted face balm if you have very dry skin. If you have dry skin, use a moisturising foundation.

// There is no reason why you can use a different foundation to what is generally recommended for you. I have oily/combination skin but I use liquid foundations. However, I set them with a powder as I find this works best for me. Play around with make up, get makeovers done, so you can find what's best for you and your skin. //



Choosing the right colour

For me, there is nothing worse than having the wrong colour. However, it's so easy to make the mistake. There's plenty of things you can do to make sure you get the right colour.

- Test the foundation on your jawline, never your hand. The foundation should disappear into your skin when blended. If you can see it, it's not right.

- Try two or three shades next to each other. You might find two shades are very similar but one is more pink-toned and one more yellow.

- Test in natural light. Go to a window or outside for a better look. A second opinion is also useful!

Application

It's up to you which tools you use. A brush is best for fuller coverage. I don't think sponges are that great, as most of the foundation disappears into the sponge. You can also use your fingers as the heat from your fingers helps it blend in.

- Always moisturise first. Even if you have oily skin (use an oil free moisturiser). A primer will also help foundation to set and last longer, but it's not a necessity.

- Apply foundation to problem areas first. I find that using a small amount at a time and building up slowly is much better than just slapping it on.

- Blend, blend, blend. Take the foundation right to your hairline, on your ears, and blend into your neck so there's no line.

Help!

- Too shiny? Use a powder on top.

- Too yellow? Use a lighter foundation

- Doesn't match your neck? Use a bronzer on your neck (not too much!) It looks more natural to make your neck darker than it is to make your face lighter.

- Feel free to leave any problems/questions below and I'll do my best to answer.

// Quick tip: If a foundation has SPF in it, do not wear it if you are having photos taken with flash. You will come up very white! (Talking from experience!) //

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, whether its two sentences or two paragraphs, I will always read them. Your comments never fail to put a smile on my face.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...